On Sunday, October 1st at 8:30 a.m. Chair of the Montgomery County Commissioners, Dr. Val Arkoosh joined the Breathing Room Foundation’s friends, recipients and donors to kick off the 14th Annual Valley Road Run. “Families need time – and resources – to focus on healing during this very difficult period in their lives,” said Dr. Arkoosh. “BRF provides critical support to those affected by cancer, and I’m happy to help to raise awareness at today’s event.”
Over 350 runners and walkers participated and raised funds and awareness about the needs of families battling cancer. “We continue to be overwhelmed by the goodness of our communities across southeastern PA. By coming out and supporting the goal of helping families struggling to make ends meet as they fight the largest health battle of their lives, we help them maintain a stress free and positive environment for the whole family”, says Mary Ellen Fitzgerald, Executive Director of the Breathing Room Foundation. “The need is great. Each year the BRF has served more families and we are on track to serve over 1,000 newly referred families in 2017.”
The 14th Annual Valley Road Run generated $25,000 to support the work of the BRF. The Abington High School Cheerleaders at the finish line, members of the Elite Choir singing the National Anthem and a local band, Dog Event added a festive and fun element for the runners and walkers. We are so pleased to have families, sports teams, and groups that join together to participate in honor or in memory of a loved one who fought their own battle with cancer.
Once the cancer diagnosis and referral is made, the BRF steps in to help with food, transportation, financial assistance and whatever else they can do to alleviate the daily concerns of living with cancer. The BRF provides care and support to families affected by cancer, recognizing that a cancer diagnosis affects every aspect of a family’s life – emotional, physical, spiritual and financial.
This year’s run is made possible by the generous support of the following:
- Presenting Sponsor: Lincoln Investment and Berkadia
- Platinum Sponsor: Julianna Hike
- Gold Sponsor: Health Partners Plans
- Silver Sponsors: Abington Jefferson Health, Chalfont Business Alliance, Penn Community Bank
- Bronze Sponsors: Henkels and McCoy, Janney, Joseph Canavan, Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center
- Friend: Delran Builders, Reilly Insulation, Sloane Moving and Storage, Jenkintown Chiropractic Center Inc., Lindy Properties, BB&T, Little Gym,
- Jenkintown Electric
- Whole Foods Markets, Fil-a-Bagel, Shop-Rite
- Thomas J. Paul, Inc., Abington Police and Fire Departments, RunBucks, Charles DiSantis